Informative Facts about Spina Bifida
- The severity in each case of Spina Bifida depnds on the size and location of the opening of the spine and whether part of the spinal cord and nerves are affected.
- 80%-90% of those with Spina Bifida have Hydrocephalus.
- Many with Spina Bifida also have an allergy to latex.
- Those with Spina Bifida might also suffer from Tethered Cord Syndrome. According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Tethered Spina Cord Syndrome is a neurological disorder caused by tissue attachments that limit the
movement of the spinal
cord within the spinal column.
- Spina Bifida's cause is multi-factoral. 400 mcg of Folic Acid has been proven to decrease a woman's risk of having a pregnancy affected by Spina Bifida. Over the counter drugs, herbal supplements and prescription drugs can also increase a woman's risk.
This and more information can be found on the CDC website.